In this assignment students will be creating a presentation on innovations in biology and technology. students will be submitting it into their assignment folder as a video link of a narrated PowerPoint or Slides presentation, and a Word document of your narration (your speakers notes) which will be reviewed for similarity by Turnitin. Instructions on how to complete this procedure can be found below.
This assignment addresses course outcomes 1-4:
- recognize and explain how the scientific method is used to solve problems.
- make observations and discriminate between scientific and pseudoscientific explanations.
- weigh evidence and make decisions based on strengths and limitations of scientific knowledge and the scientific method.
- use knowledge of biological principles, the scientific method, and appropriate technologies to ask relevant questions, develop hypotheses, design and conduct experiments, interpret results, and draw conclusion.
) Personal Genomics. Services like and have made it possible even popular for the average person to obtain in-depth information about their genome, including details like food allergies, drug sensitivities, and disease risks. There are even add-on sites that will take this information and generate elaborate reports, such as .
- Describe how this data is obtained, and what it actually includes. Start your explanation with a basic description of DNA and how genes control our traits (the Central Dogma).
- Use information from the course readings, at least one service provider (e.g., 23&Me, Ancestry), and additional information resources.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this easy, rapid, and affordable access to genomic data?
- What are the social implications, in terms of benefits and risks?
- Is Genome Privacy (restricting access to an individuals private genomic data) a potential issue, and if so, how?
- If you, or someone you know, have had your own genome analyzed, discuss the thought process that led you (or them) to do so, and share how you felt when you found your results.
- If you haven’t, discuss why or why you would not want to have this information.
Is this the question you were looking for? Place your Order Here